Farewell, for now
FOTM has been an ally of and inspiration for MHB for many years. We are saddened to see it cease publication, yet at the same time understand that decision.-Ed.
February 11, 2021
“Ah, what an age it is
When to speak of trees is almost a crime
For it is a kind of silence against injustice.”
–Bertolt Brecht (1898-1956)
In my professional life, I had specialized in the study of totalitarian Marxist-Leninist states wherein citizens were denied fundamental freedoms of speech, publication, assembly and religion. I never thought or even dreamt that the United States of America could devolve into that, but that is exactly what is happening in this former bastion of liberty.
For years now, the Left relentlessly had succeeded in warping American schools, universities, journalism, social media, Hollywood, and culture. Now, in the name of the COVID-19 pandemic, Americans are quarantined and locked down in their homes, barred from attending church services, and mandated to cover their faces with masks or they would be denied admission into grocery stores to purchase the food to feed themselves and their families.
Then the January 6, 2021 “storming” of Capitol Hill gave Democrats and the Left even more ammunition against Conservatives and Trump supporters:
- President Trump, prominent Republicans, conservative commenters and rank-and-file Trump supporters are banned from social media.
- An enemies list of Trump supporters is being compiled, to bar “the deplorables” from holding public office, join a corporate board, or teach at a univeristy; they will be ostracized from society altogether. The list would include federal judges who had been appointed by Trump, “every Administration staffer, campaign staffer, bundler, lawyer who represented them,” “anyone who took a paycheck to help Trump,” and anyone who challenged the 2020 election results. (Breitbart)
- Washington Post opinion columnist Jennifer Rubin called for burning down the Republican Party, leaving no survivors.
- ABC News’ political director Rick Klein called for the “cleansing” of Trump supporters from America. (Washington Examiner)
- Former CBS Evening News anchor Katie Couric called Trump supporters cultists and urged that they be deprogrammed. (Fox News)
- Author Don Winslow called supporters of Trump “white supremacists” and “domestic terrorists,” and urged Democrats to spy on fellow Americans by forming “an army of citizen detectives” who would use their computers and cell phones to monitor Trumpers on the internet and report their findings to authorities.
Even before the current purge, Fellowship of the Minds (FOTM) had already fallen under the evil ones’ knives when in August 2018, our then-server WordPress arbitrarily and without forewarning, took down this blog — the equivalent of burning not a book, but an entire library of books.
We scrambled to restore FOTM by going to a commercial host-server. What followed, however, were repeated spam-bot denial-of-service attacks that periodically overwhelmed FOTM, leading to the blog going offline, which required my intervention to get the blog back up. Thankfully, an IT wizard came to our aid and used his personal server to host FOTM, which has enabled this blog to keep functioning.
The travails of FOTM have cost me not just in time and stress, but also a minimum of $5,000 in expenses, which I was willing to bear as a labor of love and service to our country. Alas, our IT wizard can no longer promise to continue hosting FOTM, which means I will have to find a commercial server, which means a return of spam-bot attacks — or worse.
Democrats and the Left have vowed to exact their revenge not just on Trump and his administration’s officials, but on Trump supporters, conservatives, Christians, and anyone who engages in “conspiracy theories,” such as the 2020 election fraud and Sandy Hook. That means FOTM is targeted, especially “Dr. Eowyn,” who is in the cross-hairs of a New York Times reporter who’s writing a book on the Sandy Hook “conspiracy theory”.
In FOTM‘s more than 11 years of existence, I and this blog’s other writers, especially DCG, have worked very hard fighting this political battle. If anyone could have won the war, it would be Donald Trump. But in the four years he had, with all the resources at his disposal, he succeeded in doing little, if anything at all, against criminals like Hillary Clinton and those in the FBI who engaged in the whole Russian-collusion fakery. If Trump couldn’t do anything about the Deep State that actually rules America, it’s delusionary for me to think this little blog could. For us to continue not only would make zero difference in the politics of this country, it would only expose us as a target for the Left and the Deep State. We are heading toward very, very evil times. It is time for self-preservation.
To that end, Fellowship of the Minds will close down. Beginning on Saturday, the blog will go “private” — its blog posts invisible to the public. After some time, FOTM will go completely offline. I have downloaded all of FOTM into a file, the contents of which can be restored, and so resurrect FOTM at some time in the future when “to speak of trees” is no longer a crime.
In the meantime, I have created a new nonpolitical blog, Body and Soul, with the same writers as FOTM, which can serve as a place to preserve our FOTM family of loyal readers, and where we’ll continue our caption contests — our latest caption contest here. Check us out!
You can also find me and other FOTM writers on the Consortium of Defense Analysts blog, on matters concerning U.S. national security.
Stay safe, be on your guard, and may God bless you and your families,
4 thought on “‘Fellowship of the Minds’ Blog to Close Down”
Well, that’s a damned shame.
Sorry to hear that, Doc. I wondered why I couldn’t t access your page about that consent decree and I figured those who would play G*d were behind it.
Best of luck to you and thanks for your efforts.
Dear Doctor Eowyn: How I will miss the Sunday Inspirations that I shared with the lost so many times. Love you and want nothing but the best for you. With a sad heart.
So sad to hear you are silent for a while. I hope it is a short while. Nancy