From Safe Schools Information Technology Alliance
Original letter (PDF)
26th June 2013
Health and safety of Wi-Fi and mobile phones
We wish to highlight our concern over the safety of exposure to microwave radiation from wireless technology, particularly for vulnerable groups like children, pregnant women, the elderly and those with compromised health.
There is growing concern that chronic (long-term) exposure to radiofrequency/microwave radiation from wireless technologies causes damage, particularly genetic damage, cognitive damage, cancer and decreased fertility. There is now substantial evidence of a link between mobile phone use and brain cancer. This was recognised by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)’s 30-strong panel of scientists, which in 2011 classed radiofrequency radiation as “possibly carcinogenic”.
Additionally, doctors are encountering a significant and growing number of people presenting with a range of acute(short-term) symptoms from wireless radiation, including headaches, palpitations, rashes, fatigue, sleep disturbance, allergies and memory and concentration problems.
International medical agencies have recognised the evidence of harm (see appended list) but these rulings may take many years to be reflected in public health policy. This controversy is a common characteristic of scientific understanding when environmental exposures are new.
New technologies and substances often come with scientific conflict, which can continue for several decades before consensus is achieved. Commercial pressures often delay the acceptance of health risks, even when scientific evidence is compelling. In the case of tobacco, asbestos, x-rays and leaded petrol, for example, it took many decades before damage was established and accepted by health agencies and during those decades millions of people suffered ill health and death as a result of the delay. Now, despite evidence of harm, wireless technology is being rolled out widely.
We urge health agencies and the public to act immediately to reduce exposure to radiofrequency/ microwave radiation. This is especially important for children, who are physiologically more vulnerable to this exposure and for whom adults have a safeguarding responsibility. Children’s health should be put ahead of convenience and commercial benefits. Children should not use mobile phones except in an emergency, and WiFi should be replaced with wired alternatives in schools and other settings where children spend considerable time.
Dr Elizabeth Evans MA (Cantab), MBBS (Lond), DRCOG – medical doctor
Dr Andrew Tresidder MRCGP (1989), MBBS (Lond) – medical doctor
Dr Erica Mallery Blythe BM – medical doctor
Appendix – International Rulings
1. In 2011 the World Health Organization’s scientific panel, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), reviewed all the evidence on carcinogenesis (cancer-causing) and categorised electromagnetic radiation from mobile phones and Wi-Fi as Possibly Carcinogenic (Class 2B). See http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2011/pdfs/pr208_E.pdf
2. The Council of Europe has called for member states to take measures to reduce exposure to electromagnetic fields and give preference to wired internet connections for children, particularly in schools and classrooms. The Parliamentary Assembly stated that “the Assembly regrets that, despite calls for the respect of the precautionary principle and despite all the recommendations, declarations and a number of statutory and legislative advances, there is still a lack of reaction to known or emerging environmental and health risks and virtually systematic delays in adopting and implementing effective preventive measures. Waiting for high levels of scientific and clinical proof before taking action to prevent well-known risks can lead to very high health and economic costs, as was the case with asbestos, leaded petrol and tobacco.”
3. The BioInitiative Report, updated in 2012 by 29 scientists, states that biological effects are clearly established and occur at very low levels of exposure to electromagnetic fields and radiofrequency radiation from just minutes of exposure to mobile phone masts (cell towers), WI-FI, and wireless utility ‘smart’ meters.
4. The American Academy of Environmental Medicine stated in a 2012 Position Paper that “Multiple studies correlate RF exposure with diseases such as cancer, neurological disease, reproductive disorders, immune dysfunction, and electromagnetic hypersensitivity.” See http://aaemonline.org/emf_rf_position.html
5. The Safe Schools Report 2012 lists statements by other doctors and medical associations raising concerns over children’s exposure to electromagnetic fields from Wi-Fi and other wireless technology.
6. International Society of Doctors for the environment (ISDE) and Irish Doctors’ Environmental Association (IDEA) state that “there is sufficient scientific evidence to warrant more stringent controls on the level and distribution of electromagnetic radiation [EMR]. The joint statement and recommendations are part of a call by medical and scientific experts for safe technologies in schools.” See http://www.env-health.org/news/members-news/article/isde-idea-statement-on
See related post: “Occupy Your Home”: Confronting Smart Meter Toxification
15 thought on “Open Letter by UK Doctors on Health and Safety of Wi-Fi, Mobile Phones”
Maybe I should start wearing a tin foil jock to match my chapeau.
Helen Caldicott MD
should compare notes
This warning doesn’t go far enough. Cellphones should never have been given approval for manufacturing. They are harmful to anyone, not just children and the infirm. Use of cellphones softens the tissue in the brain surrounding the ear which can’t be terrific. I just use a land line phone and suggest going back to them, and using a cellphone as little as possible for those who must have them.
A Canadian expert speaks out…
Everyone should read “Cell Phones” – written by a man hired to do positive PR and give his stamp of approval as to whether cell phones were safe or not. He found out just how bad these things are and turned on them and wrote a book with all of his findings. Then start looking into protective devices available on the web. It’s ALL ‘energy’ – including us – and when it comers to cell phones “WE” (our energetic & genetic forms) ARE ‘the antennae.’
It is obvious to me that Dr. James Tracy has become radicalized and in need of some public intervention.
Please see my site, Op-ed News, where we receive and give full public support.
My -er- our site (which is part of a safe and secure progressive network and is joined by other similar sites such as HuffPo, Daily Kos, Salon and many others) is a true Memory Hole, where the public is protected from radical forms of thought and given the correct thoughts ONLY to ponder and debate.
You may join for a very reasonable fee.
There is much info out there in cyber space that needs vetting. Running a blog with a huge following does not translate necessarily into valuable aid or bring us closer to truth. Huffpo, Opednews have a definite slant that leaves me slack-jawed at times. I monitor both sides of the spectrum and must check my memory to recall which side they take, then put their product into perspective.
The fringe ravings can be traced back to the source.
The problem is still found in political schemes that seem stuck in old and distorted conventions. I remain amazed at how intransigent biases still sway opinion here or there, blocking out common sense.
Memoryholeblog seeks to detour around the extremes. This article represents the ideal of public service. The forum is recommended for the poor souls who hunger for facts unbound by political persuasion. It is complex issue requiring much thought and diligent inquiry.
Just read this!http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-07-23-1938348390_x.htm
I was curious if there is any way to shield your home from cell tower emissions. Found this link.
Reminds me of trying to safeguard our homes from nuclear fallout. The only way, it seems, to nullify contamination from cell towers and other technology would be to drop off the grid and move out of urban areas. How many people have that option?
In a sane world, it would be incumbent on the manufacturers to make a safe product.
Thanks. See this post, now updated with the video above.
cool thanks james
The PDF file of the original letter does not open.
It does. Click the second link provided to view the pdf.
[…] 29 June, 2013 – Memoryhole Blog […]