Targets Political Social Media Giants’ Political Censorship
February 2, 2021
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis (R) has taken bold action against Big Tech – announcing several measures to counter widespread censorship of conservatives and promote the free exchange of information.
As reported by Breitbart‘s Allum Bokhari, the measures – announced on Tuesday in a 45-minute speech – include mandatory opt-outs on content filters for Floridians, fines, and grants residents the ability to sue over censorship.
More via Breitbart:
- Mandatory opt-outs from big tech’s content filters, a solution to tech censorship first proposed by Breitbart News in 2018.
- A private right of action for Floridian citizens against tech companies that violate this condition.
- Fines of $100,000 per day levied on tech companies that suspend candidates for elected office in Florida from their platforms.
- Daily fines for any tech company “that uses their content and user-related algorithms to suppress or prioritize the access of any content related to a political candidate or cause on the ballot.”
- Greater transparency requirements.
- Disclosure requirements enforced by Florida’s election authorities for tech companies that favor one candidate over another.
- Power for the Florida attorney general to bring cases against tech companies that violate these conditions under the state’s Unfair and Deceptive Practices Act.
Leave a Reply