Live Coverage JULY 14th, 2016
Started streaming 3 hours ago
NICE, France — A long white truck ran into a crowd of people in Nice, France, on Bastille Day, killing “probably” 30 people and injuring 100 more, a local prefecture official told CNN.
Fox News says Sky News is reporting 60 are dead.
The driver of the truck that drove into a crowd in Nice was shot dead by police, Pierre-Henry Brandet, a spokesman for the French Interior Minister, tells CNN.
One witness, an American who was about 15 feet from the truck, said the driver pointed his tractor trailer into the crowd, mowing bodies over.
A CNN affiliate in France, BFM-TV, reported police exchanged gunfire with people in the truck.
Here are the latest developments in the tragedy:
• Maryam Violet, a witness, said she was walking along the beach and saw “a ton of people on the ground and on the sidewalk.” “You could see someone with a bike or a wheelchair and someone with a bag full of flowers, innocent and normal people on the beach.”
• French President Francois Hollande is returning to Paris from Avignon for emergency talks at the Interior Ministry after the mass casualty incident in Nice, according to French national radio.
• Facebook has activated the Safety Check feature for people in and around the area of the attack.
• An American witness at the scene said the driver of the truck was mowing bodies over, and that he appeared to accelerate as he hit those bodies. The witness said he saw only the driver. He heard gunfire as he ran away, but did not know its source. It seemed like an accident at first, but it became apparent very quickly that it was deliberate, the witness told CNN.
• BFM posted an image of the truck that reportedly was involved in the incident. The photo shows what appears to be bullet holes in the windshield of the white truck.
• Christian Estrosi, the head of the regional council of Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur, said late Thursday: “Dear Nice residents, the driver of a truck appears to have caused tens of deaths. Stay for the moment in your homes. More info to come.”
• Eric Dartell was eating at a restaurant on the street where the incident happened. “You can see wreckage all along the way, a body, bicycles, street lamps and debris everywhere,” he said.