In a somewhat stunning decision, SkyNews reports that a US judge has ruled that the families of victims in the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School can sue the maker of the weapon used in the attack, arguing the Bushmaster rifle is a military weapon that should not have been sold to civilians.
As SkyNews reports,
Gun companies had sought to reject the negligence and wrongful death lawsuit filed two years after the attack by nine victims’ relatives and a survivor.
But Connecticut Superior Court Judge Barbara Bellis said a 2005 federal law protecting gun-makers from lawsuits does not shield the companies from legal action in this case.
She ruled that lawyers for the victims’ families can still argue the semi-automatic rifle is a military weapon and should not have been sold to civilians.
The legal action names Remington Arms, maker of the Bushmaster AR-15 rifle, model XM15-E2S, as well as the distributor and seller.
A lawyer for the families, Josh Koskoff, welcomed Thursday’s news that the lawsuit can proceed.
“We are thrilled that the gun companies’ motion to dismiss was denied,” he said.
“The families look forward to continuing their fight in court.”
Gunman Adam Lanza used the Bushmaster to kill 20 children and six adults at the school in Newtown, Connecticut, in December 2012.
Earlier this week a judge ruled that state police do not have to release to media some of Lanza’s writings, including his spreadsheet ranking mass murders.
Media were also seeking publication of 20-year-old Lanza’s notebook titled The Big Book of Granny.
It contains a story he wrote in fifth grade featuring a character who likes hurting people, especially children.
So an otherwise totally normal kid driven to massacre by the ‘availability’ of a weapon? yep makes perfect sense.